Translate

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 6 - Going to the "Magazin"

Yesterday I went to school (I was SO tired!), then went to the mall by the Metro on the way home. There's a grocery store (store is "magazin" in Russian) on the lower floor, and that's where I got my shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo has the almost the same name here (sounds like "shampoon"), except the word looks something like "wamnyhb"  in Russian, so it was helpful to be able to sound it out and know that I was buying at least one shampoo. I have no idea what "conditioner" is in Russian, but I figure it's whatever the opposite of the shampoo is. I think my favorite part about the grocery store was that all the cash register people were sitting in chairs, and the belts where you put your food and stuff was down at their sitting level. Maybe it's no good for health, but I know that working the register, you could work a LOT longer if you don't have to stand the whole time. I remember when I worked at Kiwi Loco, it killed me to have to pull a double shift just standing there. Why do cashiers have to stand there? Is it just more professional? Or have we Americans just not figured out yet that sitting at the cashier could be so much easier on these workers feet and overall stamina? Anyways, sorry this post has such little structure to it, I just got home about a half an hour ago from walking around Central Kiev for two hours, and that was right after teaching at school for four hours. Anyways, my host family's all home now, so I should probably get going.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gracie,

    It is so wonderful you are posting as often as you are. No worry about the details or structure or any of that. It is just to wonderful to hear about your day.

    Love You
    Grandma Lila

    ReplyDelete