Translate

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Game of Charades

Alright, so first I need to fill you in on some background. My sister's husband is Armenian, and his parents (up until recently) have been living in Moscow, Russia which isn't too far of a distance from Kiev, Ukraine. BUT they're currently here in America, and since last Friday, I've had a ton of opportunity to find ways to communicate with my brother-in-law's Russian-Armenian-speaking parents (Maria and Haroch). It has been a constant game of charades, but I feel like I'm getting better and better at it. Like last night, on our way back home, Haroch and Maria were trying to ask me something... "Blah blah blah fitness blah blah blah..."  At first, I thought they were talking to me about my shoes, because they kept pointing at the tennis-shoes I was wearing. We got home, and Maria told me again, "Blah blah blah fitness..." She made a running motion with her arms and legs, I thought maybe Maria was going to go running outside. I pulled out Google Translate (truly a god-send) on my computer, I typed in "Are you going running?" She read the translation in Russian then told me "No no no, blah blah blah blah fitness..." Then it clicked, I typed in, "You're going to the gym?" She told me "Yes!" So after about 5 minutes of trying to figure out what she was saying I finally figured it out. I went and changed to sweat pants and a t-shirt, then we went to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment